Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day

I have so many thoughts about today, Memorial Day. We have so much to be thankful for in this great nation... our natural resources, the visions of our founding fathers, the callused hands and aching backs of the immigrants that came to our shores for a new life and made our land better by being here... and more, much more. But perhaps nothing is so precious to our country as the brave warriors who have left the safety of their homes and families to go into harm's way on our behalf.

I wish that I had the words to express my gratitude, but so many others have said it so much better than I ever could. One of my favorites:

"We sleep safely in our beds only because rough men stand ready to visit violence upon those who would do us harm" [author unknown]

Thanks to the rough men and women who stand somewhere today, ready to "visit violence" upon those who would harm us. You make our life more peaceful, our homes more safe, and our country stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment