Friday, June 25, 2010

Agility consumes me

Though we looked forward to the Paducah KY show with much anticipation, it wasn't meant to be. We love the venue at Paducah... great surface, they keep the air conditioning fairly cool, the people are very nice... we even like the hotels! But on Thursday evening shortly before we went to bed, Maggie and one of her agility friends, a big Weim nearly twice her size had a collision and Maggie came up on the losing end. After a quick scream, she tried to scramble to her feet, but she held the right rear leg up close to her body and would not try to put it down. I thought perhaps it was minor and that she would "walk it off" but no doing. The next morning she was still reluctant to put weight on it, and she had a difficult time getting up.
I was terrified that it was an ACL tear, but a local vet examined her and said it was a strain in her hock and would probably heal in a couple days. While I was glad to hear her injury wasn't serious, it was no fun to go back to the show site and pack up all of our stuff, without even getting one run.
On the way home, though, it made me think about how much my life has changed in the past 2 years. Almost all of my free time and most of disposable income goes to agility. Almost all of my friends are from agility, and a day doesn't go by that we don't talk about a show, a practice, or run, or even a specific handling method. It also made me realize how much of my life is dependent on the fragile legs of my partner.
I'm not saying it is a good thing, or a bad thing.... but it does make me think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment